Some days before Christmas I started to make candy, lots of candy. I love to make fudge as it is so easy to make and tastes so good.
This year I made six different fudges, salt and sweet liquorice fudge, cream caramel fudge, chocolate fudge, orange fudge and rum/arrack fudge.
My fudge recipe
450g white caster sugar
200g double cream
50g glucose syrup
Sweet and/or salt liquorice: Mix 2 tbsp licorice powder and 1 tbsp ammonium chloride in the sugar before the wet ingredients are poured in. Exclude the ammonium chloride if you want sweet licorice.
Chocolate: Mix 100g chopped dark chocolate before boiling.
Vanilla/orange/rum etc: Stir in after boiling 1 tsp of the desired taste. Add more if you want stronger taste.
- Grease an 18cm square cake tin.
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring all the time. Put a sugar thermometer in the pan and keep on boiling until the mixture reaches 116C. This usually takes 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in liquid tastes (and colours if you want) and beat the mixture with a wooden spoon. Keep beating until the fudge cools to about 70-80C.
- Pour the fudge into the tin before it gets too thick and leave to cool.
- Cut into pieces with a greased knife.